How To Fix “Can’t Move The Items Error” On Outlook
“Can’t move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied”.
There are various reasons behind the error. Below are possible reasons:
- Corrupt PST file
- Emails you are trying to move or copy already exist in Outlook.
- Email you want to move or copy is already in use by some other Outlook instance.
- Anti-virus is performing threat check on the Outlook files.
You can try various methods to fix this error.
Method 1: Restart computer
Try to restart the computer and open Outlook again. It works if minor error causing the issue. Sometimes other applications use PST file data in background which locks the resource. Restarting the computer will easily fix the issue.
Method 2: Scan for virus
Some viruses occupies resources which leads to failure in opening the items. Try to remove the virus by scanning computer using antivirus software. Update virus definitions of antivirus software to increase success rate. Most of the time error can be fixed by this simple method.
Method 3: Check user permissions
In multiuser environment every use has directory level permissions. If user which running the outlook don’t have proper permissions to access PST file then the error occurs. If you are administrator then run Outlook as administrator. If you are not administrator then you need to request permissions for admin. Admin will grant you proper directory permissions. Remember this type of issues are more common in multiuser environment and can cause several other problems in Outlook and other program functionalities.
Method 4: Repair PST file
Repairing the PST file is important task in Outlook data management. You may face such need of repairing PST file anytime while using Outlook. Hence this process is important.
Repair by using scanpst.exe tool
1. Open file explorer. Search for scanpst.exe by typing ‘SCANPST.EXE’ in searchbox. You can find the file manually if you know the location of file.
Following are some default locations of this file.
- Outlook 2016:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
2. Double click to open SCANPST.EXE.
3. Browse the location of the PST file file or type the name of PST file in textbox.
4. Click ‘Start’ button to begin the scan.
5. Once scan will complete it will show results. If scan finds errors, it will show number of error and other related info. Click Repair to fix the errors.
If all goes well and process completed successfully then restart Outlook.
Repair using PST recovery tool
Sometimes scanpst.exe fails to repair PST file because it don’t have advanced algorithms to fix badly damaged PST file.
But you can do it by using professional PST recovery tool. Such tools have advanced features and algorithms which enables efficient and fast recovery of PST file. Some such tools are Datanumen PST recovery, Stellar PST recovery, Kernel PST recovery, etc.